Thursday, December 31, 2009

The End Of A Decade, A "Time To Pretend"



Ok, so within the last week this song has gone from non-existent to me, to the only song I want to listen to. It all started the day after Christmas when I re-watched a favorite movie of mine, Sex Drive. (Spoiler Alert!) So at the beginning of their road trip, as the 3 youths head off for Tennessee to get Ian laid in the '69 GTO, this beautiful synthesized riff first came on and began to capture my attention. As the words begin to play, and the characters embark on their journey, the apparent relativity of this song with adventurous youth comes into play. I knew enough about MGMT to realize that this was one of their songs, but outside of the movie I had never heard it, or really gave them a chance. Still after this brief revelation, I got over the song and continued laughing my way through the movie without giving the song a second thought. I didn't know the title of the song, and figured maybe if I got bored enough one day I would Google the song list from the movie, and perhaps download it.

But before I got a chance to get bored and go searching for this track, while laying in bed listening to the B.S. Report's decade retrospect, the song was referenced again. It must have been sometime after 4a.m, and Bill Simmons and Chris Connelly were talking about their favorite songs, albums, moments and teams from the past decade. That's when Simmons picked MGMT's "Time To Pretend" as the most culturally relevant song of the past decade, the one that most resembles youth culture, and the way society is headed. Now the second he mentioned this song I immediately got the feeling that it was the same song I had noticed and appreciated a mere hours earlier. Sure enough, after a quick YouTube search I had found the song, and began studying the lyrics, all the while listening to the 4 minute song on repeat.

From the first sentence on I was hooked.
"I'm feeling rough, I'm feeling raw, I'm in the prime of my life".
I'm not quit sure there is a better opening line to any song that depicts the feeling of a late-teenage/early 20's youth trying to find themselves with a I'll-do-whatever-the-fuck-I-want mentality. Once again it should be noted that the beat is what puts the song over the top. Sure John Mayer could turn this into a pop-acoustic hit with his name alone, but its the repetitive never-ending rifts that gives this song its life, and the catalyst for the anthem that it has become.

The second verse further establishes the mentality that youths live by.
"This is our decision, to live fast and die young. We've got the vision, now let's have some fun."
Its kind of crazy to me how true that last sentence really is. When you're young enough to do whatever you want there really is a type of beauty that comes with not knowing the consequences of your actions and it's the only time in life you truly can do anything you want. No responsibilities, nothing to hold you back, just that thought process that whatever you want to do is the most important thing in your life at that very moment.

As the song continues it talks about the things you will inevitably miss as life goes on.
"I'll miss the playgrounds and the animals and digging up worms,
I'll miss the comfort of my mother and the weight of the world,
I'll miss my sister, miss my father, miss my dog and my home, Yeah, I'll miss the boredom and the freedom and the time spent alone."
I interpret this as somewhat of a Holden Caulfield type way of looking at the world. Wanting to hold on to the past, combined with a lust for the present and a fear for the future. The last line of that verse is interesting because it takes two things that would normally seem negative (boredom and being alone) and reflects on them in ways that make you long for them. I found myself sitting up thinking that yes maybe there will be a time in the near future where I won't be able to lay on my couch and be bored for hours on end. Bills and mortgages are inevitable and soon enough I'll be working full time and will undoubtedly miss my boredom and time spent alone.

So as the decade comes to a close at midnight tonight, and I reflect back on my time, the memories play in my head with this song as the background music. I hope that 2010 brings all of you out there much happiness, excitement and a great many new experiences. I enter this decade young at heart and will continue to live with reckless abandon; but with a greater appreciation for all that I have, and all that life has to offer.
"We were fated to pretend"
-fresh (@danye33)

2 comments:

  1. Danye, listened to the song. Way to get into deep thought about the song. Its a good song. To me, im fearing the future, but we gotta live it up while we are still young. Before we have to settle down. haha keep up the writing 2manweave.

    -Weezy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your perspective on the song. I agree with your point of view and wish you a Happy New Year, too!

    ReplyDelete