Monday, March 8, 2010

"If ya don't know, now you know ______"



As you may or may not know, tomorrow, March 9th, marks the 13 year anniversary of the passing/murder of the rap phenom Biggie Smalls. Biggie's work has been a key outlet and go to for me for well over a decade now. I still remember listening to "Ready To Die" straight through on my CD Walkman, on the reg during my middle school days. I was too young to remember hearing of his death when it happened, but once I started dipping my toes in the rap game, Biggie's music, and his story became essential for my development and eventual love for hip-hop and its culture. For more information on the potential motives/back stories that led to the mid 90's East Coast/West Coast rap feuds and ensuing murders of Tupac Shakur and Chris Wallace please read this great Rolling Stone article by Randall Sullivan from May of 2001. I remember being 13 years old and purchasing this issue of Rolling Stone, and reading the 30+ page story in its entirety during a family road trip to Williamsberg, WV. Although I didn't understand many of the drug references, or context for that matter, I was still fascinated by the information presented in front of me, and Sullivan does a superb job of trying to put the pieces of the unsolved puzzle together. Sullivan writes that "So much of the truth has been buried in the process of telling this story that no amount of excavation could unearth it all at this point." and the sad thing is, he is absolutely right...



Just like Biggie preaches in the above video "Juicy", "If ya don't know, now ya know ____", I have some up and coming rappers here that you may not already know about. And if you don't know, now ya know. First off is this dude Wax, originally from Baltimore but has since moved to Cali. He occasionally rhymes with his brother Herbal T, who is equally as talented and quick with his metaphors. My buddy J-Fonts introduced him to me, and Wax actually let Fonts go on stage and spit a freestyle with him during a show in Albany last fall. Once again, I'm still not that familiar with his work, but peep his YouTube videos and you'll definitely be impressed. Below is his song "2010 to Infinity."



And now for my main dudes, Dirt Nasty and Andre Legacy. Together they make up half of the late rap super group the "Dyslexic Speedreaders", along with Mickey Avalon and Beardo. Simon Rex, aka "Dirt Nasty" came onto the scene in the mid-90's as a MTV VJ, and after starring in the T.V. series "Jack and Jill"/ starring in Scary Movie 3&4 eventually made his way into the L.A. rap scene. His outrageous drug and sex fueled raps have gained him some fame and notoriety, and his songs have been in heavy rotation on my Ipod for the past year now. The below song isn't Dirt's finest work, but it is hillarious and gives you a good insight to his sense of humor/lifestlye. Also, if your looking for a laugh, peep Dirt Nasty's Twitter page.



And lastly, below is Andre Legacy with his track "Bender". Although the lyrics are unrealistic (I hope), and thought provoking (somewhat), I can't get over how much I love the chorus. "Don't question my agenda, I'm on a bend-ah."


-fresh (@danye33)

No comments:

Post a Comment