Sunday, March 21, 2010

Lets Give Credit Where Credit Is Due Shall We?



Now originally I wanted to title this post "Sample Saturday", a feature that our friend, producer Kevin Casey, has been writing for quit some time. Basically, every Saturday Kev picks a song that people like, and completely changes the way you think about it, by showing the original song from which the beat/chorus/rhythm was stolen or "borrowed" from. A great example of this was when he posted David McCallum's "The Edge" and Dr. Dre's "The Next Episode". Complete rip-off.

Anyways, last week while road tripping from Tempe to Lake Havasu, I stumbled across a Chili Peppers gem from the early 90's that I had never heard before. The song is called "Pretty Little Ditty" and it's from their "Mother's Milk" album. It is instrumental gold, and despite having no lyrics to it was still very pleasing to the ear. However midway through the song I couldn't help but hear a certain guitar rift that reminded me of a certain shitty song, by a certain shitty band. The song I'm referring to is "Butterfly" by Crazytown (Don't remember them? Think of a homo-erotic Papa Roach on LSD. Don't remember Papa Roach? I wish I could be that lucky). The entire bassline/guitar part for the song is a 100% rip-off of RHCP, yet somehow I managed to live nearly 10 years of my life without anyone bringing this to my attention? How is it that one of the worst bands of all time could make millions of dollars (Yes, in the early 2000's when people still paid for music you could make 7 figures off of a piece of crap like "Butterfly") off of a rift that Frusciante wrote and preformed 11 years earlier? And don't try to tell me that the lyrics were what made "Butterfly" the hit that it was:

"My lifestyle's wild I was living like a wild child
Trapped on a short leash paroled the police files
So yo. what' s happening now?
I see the sun breaking down into dark clouds
and a vision of you standing out in a crowd.
"

The only reason that song got any love at all was for the dreamy beat, and it is a shame that more people don't credit the rift to the Peppers. For all of you reading this who were already familiar with Crazytown's sampling (cough cough robbery) of "Pretty Little Ditty" then I apologize for the rant but it had to be done. Listen for yourself, the beat that was "borrowed" comes in at the :38 second mark in the below video.


As embarrassed as I am to feature a video by Crazytown on this site, just remember I'm merely trying to prove a point.


Lastly, lets all keep our fingers crossed that Frusciante gets his act together and rejoins the band. I could use some new Chili in my life.

-fresh

3 comments:

  1. http://www.gladwell.com/2004/2004_11_25_a_borrowed.html

    great article by malcolm gladwell on this topic, check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wouldn't necessarily call "The Next Episode" a "ripoff", but rather a producer's ability to make it his own. If it were as simple as a "ripoff", there would be an astronomical number of famous and rich producers out there, which is simply not the case.

    ReplyDelete