Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Is "TIME" Shitting Me With This Cover Story?


Each day on my way to work I pass by the same news stand in the lobby of my building. Often times I'll shoot a quick glance at the magazine covers, see if anything catches my eye, and then keep it moving. However, yesterday I saw something that made me stop dead in my tracks- the above cover from this weeks TIME magazine. Now I'm not going to pretend like I read this often (or ever), but I do know that it's the world's largest weekly news magazine.

With that kind of circulation and influence, I feel as if this cover story they decided to go with is absolutely ridiculous. Of course their is no such thing as hell. Seriously, think about it for a second. The whole premise that your life is being judged, and when you pass you can either "be saved" (salvation) or get sent down to hell is ludicrous. If that were to be the case then what would be the cut-off? Does a guy who cheats on his taxes, gambles and "sins" occasionaly deserve to share the same eternal harboring as Hitler? And what about the one time offenders? The guys who did something terrible when they were younger because they didn't know any better (gangs etc.), but then changed their ways and lived a positive existence for the next 50 years making a difference in others lives? Are they deserving of an afterlife in hell?

I guess what really drove me so crazy when I saw this cover was the way they phrased it, almost as if everyone out there should believe in this made up place, and now just maybe, people are starting to question it and they should be scared. That is complete BS. Treat others the way you would like to be treated, go out of your way to spread kindness, don't be a dick and whatever happens when you die happens. You can't waste time worrying about something as stupid as that, especially after thousands and thousands of years of human existence have proved ZERO on what happens in the afterlife. That should tell you something right there.

On a more important note, what is TIME doing wasting valuable cover space on such a non current/important subject matter? Last I checked people in Libya were still revolting, people in Japan were still dying, and the threat of nuclear radiation looms heavy over us all. If you have the ability to reach over 25 million people with your work, you have a responsibility to put out the best stories possible, and I feel as if TIME really dropped the ball this week.


-fresh (@danye33)

1 comment:

  1. Have you ever read Dante's Inferno? Supposedly there are different levels of hell. Meaning the worse you do the worse you get. But yes I agree that is a terrible cover story.

    ReplyDelete