Tuesday, July 26, 2011

What The Game's Been Missing


One of my favorite and most vivid adolescent memories was running home from school and throwing on BET's Rap City Tha Bassment, hosted by Big Tigger (Shoutout to Nilton for watching with me at least three days out of the week). After spending hours in front of my television learning the newest slang and finding myself confused and bewildiered by everything I had just seen, my favorite moment came...The Freestyle. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Tha Bassment, the show basically went like this: the host, Big Tigger, would show up and discuss the most recent and classic hip-hop videos, and bring out a guest or multiple guest to talk about their current projects and their opinions on hip-hop and the culture. After a few hours of this, Tigger would invite his guests into the booth to freestyle and close the show. These impromptu rhymes made for some CLASSIC hip-hop moments and have remained some of my favorite videos to watch on youtube. The following are some of my favorite Freestyles from Rap City Tha Bassment, enjoy:



The Diplomats- Easily my favorite hip-hop collective ever. Dipset had a certain mystique surrounding them and for a few years during the '00s were seriously running the industry. Each one of them kills it, and Cam counting his money while flowing effortlessly over Scarface's "My Block" really epitomized Dipset's whole style and what made them so great.



Kanye West- My favorite Kanye persona. Right before he really blew up after dropping "The College Dropout", 'Ye was incredibly humble (proved by saying how big a fan of Rap City he was) and ready to earn his stripes. My favorite part of this video is he's spitting over his own beat, and killing it harder than Luda did!


Eminem- Eminem has torched the booth over the years. This collection of freestyles shows off his lyrical prowess and why he is one of the best rappers of all time.


Snoop Dogg and Talib Kweli- One of my favorite parts of the show was the random pairing of guests that would spit in the booth. I don't think you would ever see or hear Snoop and Talib on the same track, but Tigger brought them together and produced this classic moment.


Cassidy- I never understood why Cassidy just couldn't pull it together and put out a solid album that would give him notoriety. That being said, the dude can straight rap. One of the best freestyle artists I've ever heard and this clip shows off Cassidy's tremendous wordplay and punchlines.

There are tons of these videos floating around the interwebs and each one is amazing in its own right. I miss Rap City and pray that Big Tigger will come back and bless us with more freestyles.



-Dubs

No comments:

Post a Comment