Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Hova Pays Homage To Slayed Pace University Football Player

"This is to the memory of Danroy Henry, Too much enemy fire to catch a friendly. Strays from the same shade, Nigga we on the same team. Giving you respect, I expect the same thing"

-Jay- Z

Ever since I got my hands on Jay-Z and Kanye West's new collaboration, "Watch The Throne", I haven't been able to hit the play button on my ipod without this album flowing through my ear buds. But this CD is not your typical Hova/Yeezy outing. What it lacks in flashy, radio friendly singles and catchy hooks, it more than makes up for with gritty truth and a social consciousness that would make Public Enemy proud.

In no song is this more evident than in "Murder to Excellence", an eye opening look at all of the violence surrounding our youth in this very country. Jay-Z dedicated this song to Danroy Henry, the Pace University football player who was shot and killed by Pleasantville Police officer Aaron Hess, in the aftermath of a drunken brawl outside of a local bar. This story hit especially close to home for me because the incident took place in my hometown. Many people had mixed emotions on who was in the wrong that night, but I stand by my belief that I don't think that you should ever shoot an unarmed, unviolent man. However, the police union of Westchester seemed to disagree with me, and threw some extra salt in wound by awarding Hess the "Officer of the Year" award shortly after the murder shooting.

Listening to Jay-Z say Danroy's name gives me chills each and every time I hear it. Maybe it's because I never imagined this case would get this much national attention, so hearing it on being discussed on my ipod is almost surreal to me. Or maybe it's because Jay-Z, a person who I both admire and look up, made me proud to be his fan.

-fresh

No comments:

Post a Comment