Friday, December 7, 2012

A Slice You Should Know- Artichoke Pizza Edition


As you're probably aware of by now, pizza holds a place near and dear to my heart (as well as the inevitably clogged arteries that surround it). Over time I've become somewhat of a Connoisseur of the Crust, the Prince of the Pizza, and the Sultan of the Slice. So with that in mind I've decided to pass on some of my fine dining (see: binge eating) experiences to you, by pointing out the best and the rest of New York City pizza. This installment features the famed Artichoke Basille's Pizza, located on the south side of 14th st. between 1st and 2nd avenue.

Artichoke stays open until well after the bars close, and on most nights you can find a sizable line spilling out on to the street dozens of patrons long. Despite the limited menu (the only options are sicilian, margherita, crab and artichoke), each mouthwatering slice packs a punch so strong it would make Tyson blush. Oh, and they also serve both bottled and draft beer so feel free to get WASTED BRAH.

BANG FOR YOUR BUCK:  * * * three and a half pepperoni's

Slices are borderline pricey ($4 for sicilian/marg,  $4.50 for crab/choke) but that's actually a small price to pay when you consider one of these puppies can send you on the fast track to foodcomaville (population: me). Buying slices while drunk can get a little costly though, because as you know, one of anything is never enough when you've been drinking. I don't care if it's oranges, I'm eating six of them AND a bag of chips.

Also, there's a special place in hell reserved for those who refuse to splurge the extra fitty cents for the specialty slices. THAT'S LESS THAN THE COST OF A STAMP YOU PEASANT.


SERVICE: * * * * four pepperoni's 

As is the case with most busy establishments in small corridors, tensions run wild due to the high demand and sheer lack of space. Therefore the pizza chefs tend to get a little snippy if you hesitate at the counter. I've never been there and not gotten an artichoke slice, yet I still find myself repeating my order in my head as I wait in line. Lest I look like a noob in front of my fellow carnivores. 


OLD FAITHFUL: The Artichoke Slice

When I'm on my death bed some day, I'm going to insist on being suffocated with an Artichoke pie. Anything other than that will be a complete and utter disappointment. It's far and away the best slice I've ever had. It feels like your taste buds are getting a blowjob. 

OVERALL RATING: * * * ** five pepperoni's 

I've artichoked my chicken to the thought of this pizza on many occasion, and in my opinion, there is not a better slice in all of New York City.   

-fresh (@danye33)

Pizza Archive- 2 Bro's

Got a pizza place you want reviewed? Hit me up at dan.chiavetta@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment