Friday, May 10, 2013

Music Videos That Don't Suck- M.C. Longshot "Len Bias"



Last April I interviewed M.C. Longshot after coming across his heartfelt tribute to the "greatest that never was", Len Bias. At the time he said a video for the track was in the works and that he would send it my way upon completion. Which leads us to today's post, a perfectly crafted memorial to perhaps the most tragic cautionary tale of all-time.

It's amazing to think about how many people's lives were effected by this young man's death. I recently finished reading Eddie Haung's memoir, "Fresh Off The Boat", and in the story he talks about how his father, a Taiwanese immigrant, says that Len Bias "broke his heart". And that despite dabbling and selling other drugs throughout the years, Eddie never touched cocaine because knew how much Len's death affected his dad.

To this day my uncle still keeps the Len Bias Sports Illustrated cover in his desk at work, and I bet there's thousands of other people who feel the same connection.

I think that it is very important that we do whatever we can to keep Bias' legacy alive with tributes like my uncle's S.I. cover or Longshot's song so that future generations can grow up with an awareness to the consequences of drug use, and know that death is only a heartbeat away, no matter how good you are at basketball.

-fresh (@danye33)

No comments:

Post a Comment