Thursday, July 18, 2013

I'm Starting A Fantasy Football Survivor League (And You Should Too)


Anyone who knows me, or follows this blog, is already well aware of my obsession with fantasy football. From preseason positional previews to weekly waiver wire pickup columns, I've pretty much got you covered on all fronts during the football season. Which is why I trust that you'll take my advice and hear me out on a new fantasy proposal for 2013- a Fantasy Football Survivor league.

Typically Survivor leagues (formally know as suicide pools) feature a large group of people making a weekly selection on what team is going to win in that specific week. The catch is that once you choose a team, you cannot use them again for the rest of the season, and if your teams loses, you're eliminated.

Fantasy Football Survivor is going to be a little different. It starts out like any other typical league, only this time there's going to be 16 teams (managers). The catch is that each week, the team that scores the fewest amount of points will be eliminated one by one, until there is one sole surviving team left to be crowned champion.

Since 16 player leagues are gigantic, you're only going to start QB/2RB/2WR/TE/FLEX/K/DEF, along with four bench spots. That's still 208 players in total, which means the waiver wire is going to be slim pickings (and that tragically, Davone Bees will more than likely be employed all season long). Once a team is eliminated their roster will be manually locked by the commish, to prevent disgruntled owners from dropping their star players out of spite and skewing the league.

As far as I know, there are no online leagues out there with this option as a setup, so what I'm going to do is set it up just like any other fantasy league (using Yahoo!, personal preference) and make the games head-to-head. This way it will be easy to see and tally weekly scores, as opposed to the cumulative "points"option.

The entry fee for the league I'm starting is going to be $20, with $300 going to the winner, and $20 going to the team with the best head-to-head record. This will provide some incentive for managers to pay attention even after they've been eliminated.

If this sounds like something you might be interested in, shoot me an e-mail at dan.chiavetta@gmail.com. Even if you don't end up in my Fantasy Football Survivor league, and you end up starting your own with your group of friends, I would love to hear about your experience.

Good luck!

-fresh (@danye33)

No comments:

Post a Comment