Monday, December 30, 2013

The Memphis Grizzlies Are a Class Organization And I Will Be Rooting For Them For The Rest of The Season


(NBACharvis Brewer, 8, had a wish to be drafted by an NBA team. On December 29, his wish came true when he was drafted by the Memphis Grizzlies. Mike Conley presented him with a jersey before he joined the team at practice at FedExForum. Charvis will attend his first game - Grizzlies vs. Bulls on December 30, 2013. #MakeAWish #GrizzNation

Just a heartwarming story out of Memphis. The Grizzlies fulfilled a sick 8 year old super fan's dream to become a part of their team, and all of the players rose to the occasion with smiles on their faces. They gave him a jersey, let him blow the whistle at practice and, from the pictures, appeared to have spent some quality time with him. This is a moment that both Charvis and the team will never forget, and its one of those instances where sports becomes so much more than just a game. 

Not to make this about me, but I've been looking for an excuse to stop caring about the Knicks all season, and this was the final push I needed to jump ship. I'm at a point in my life where I would much rather root for character and class than laundry by default, and what the Grizzles did here was really special. Why should I get emotionally invested in cheering for guys like J.R. Smith, who's only thinking about his next trip to Greenhouse, or Melo, who is going to bolt for brighter pastures as soon as he gets the chance, when I can get behind a team that carves out time in the middle of their season to make a sick child's dream come true? 

I'm looking forward to kicking off my Grizzlies fandome tonight when they face off against the Bulls, with Charvis on the sidelines.











-fresh (@danye33)

1 comment: